Thursday, March 17, 2011

How To Make A Nautical Light

  If you love nautical charts like I do, this is a perfect little accent light that can be usesd in a hallway or in a bathroom.and would be a great addition to a coastal themed home. It's  pretty easy and relativley fast, and came out really cute.

You will need a Krafty Blok,. They are sold at most craft stores. I got this one at Hobby Lobby.It is pre drilled and has a cap.They  come in small, medium and large. For this project, I used a small one.



20 Lights adds the perfect amount of light to shine through the glass.
I played with the light a bit to get them streched out a little and placed them in the block..



This chart is waterproof, but any chart will do.

I hot glued the sisal around the seam of the glass. The 1/4  covers the glass seam perfectly.
 I cut  the chart with  a craft knife to cover the front of the glass.  I used a mixture of glue and water and placed the chart on the glass. I covered both sides of the block. I rubbed the bubbles out with a paper towel. I attached a small starfish. I sealed it  Modge Podge Matte sealer.

This is how it turned out!


It  adds the perfect amount of light in my nautical Bathroom.

If you want to give it a vintage feel, burn the edges of the chart slightlty.These blocks are usually seen at Christmas with bows around them, but There are so many other things you can do as with them year round!

3 comments:

Amanda Lee said...

Cute idea! Love that you made use of an old chart!
~Amanda

Leo said...

This is very cute. I love it.

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for putting a smashing shot of nautical lights. I really loved it especially the chart attached with light .I am very much eager to make my light a vintage look, so that I gift it to my friend’s birthday gift.Great innovation idea. Keep it up man.